Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wizard Hat Cake

For Maddie's 8th birthday (10/24/2009), she had a costume party, so Mom and I made this wizard hat cake. I tease Mom because she thinks you can make any shape with cake, but this hat was difficult! It required alot of cake, many hours, and a bunch of "cake chunks" - the great portion of which I ate! Once the cake was "built", we put on a layer of white buttercream frosting and then this spray paint for frosting stuff Mom found. The spray paint looked great and gave the cake a neat shine, but it was everywhere! This is disgusting, but later that night, I blew my nose and blew out BLUE! Ugh! When I say it was everywhere, I mean everywhere! Oh, and notice that this cake in progress is sitting on Mom's ironing board. She thinks that it's for extra counter space!

We made the stars on the cake out of fondant. Not the tastiest stuff in the world, but it's like play-dough, you can shape it into just about anything and use cutters with it.
Maddie's cakes turned out great and her costume party was fun!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment